Oat Groat Pilaf with Pea Microgreens
Photo by Veggies Don't Bite
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, minced
2 cups of water
1.5 cups of gluten-free oat groats*
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup chopped carrots (1/4" cubes)
1/4 cup of frozen yellow corn
1/4 cup of minced pea shoot microgreens
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon of fresh chopped oregano
1 tablespoon of fresh chopped basil
1/4 of a lemon
*Some oat products might be contaminated with small amounts of gluten from processing. Check the label. If you are very sensitive, consider substituting millet or quinoa instead. Adjust the quantity to 1 cup grain to 2 cups water.
1. Heat oil in a pot and cook the minced shallot, corn, and carrot cubes for 2 minutes.
2. Add the water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the pot.
3. Add the oat groats to the simmering water and stir to mix evenly.
4. After simmering for a minute, cover the pot, then reduce the heat to low.
5. Cook oat groats for 35 minutes.
6. Remove the pot from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
7. Stir in the chopped herbs and microgreens.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste, as well as the balsamic vinegar, and mix until evenly distributed.
9. Serve on a bed of greens (or more pea shoots) with a squeeze of lemon juice over the salad.