Spinach Spaghetti with Arugula Microgreens
Photo by Vika Aleksandrova on Unsplash
Vegetarian w/ Gluten-Free modifications
Level of difficulty: Easy
1 lbs spinach spaghetti (or rice spinach spaghetti for gluten-free)
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup of frozen peas
2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 cup arugula microgreens
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup grated hard Italian cheese (parmesan, romano, asiago, etc.)
1. Cook spaghetti in a large pot of salted boiling water as usual.
2. Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat oil and butter over medium-low heat.
3. Stir in garlic, lemon peel, lemon juice, broth, basil, peas, salt and pepper and raise heat to medium-high. Pro tip: when grating the lemon zest, use the smallest grater size you have and make sure you don't get any of the white "pith" which can add bitterness.
4. Bring to a gentle simmer, reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
5. Drain pasta, return it to its cooking pot and toss it in the heated sauce along with the fresh arugula microgreens and parsley.
6. Use tongs to gently toss the pasta and sauce together.
7. Transfer pasta to heated serving bowl.
8. Sprinkle with grated cheese while still hot, and serve.